Following President Nicos Anastasiades declaration that Cyprus will begin phased easing of COVID-19 lockdown measures from May 4, the British Bases said it will follow the same guidelines.
“The drawdown measures in the Bases, like in the Republic of Cyprus, will see the relaxation occur in phases and beginning on Monday,” said a British Bases statement.
Commander British Forces Cyprus and SBA Administrator, Major General Rob Thomson, said: “As we ease the measures in the battle against COVID-19, it is important that we as an Administration remain in-step with the RoC.
“We have been very successful so far in limiting the spread of this virus and this is not the time to drop our guard. We must remain vigilant and continue to respect social distancing and all the movement restriction measures that remain in place.”
The Bases, working in tandem with the Cyprus Ministry of Health and other Governmental departments, successfully implemented lockdown measures throughout the SBAs in March and have so far only had nine members of its community test positive for COVID-19, all of whom have now fully recovered.
Cyprus said all restrictions on freedom of movement will end on May 21 but social distancing rules will be enforced at all times.