An action plan on how to deal with the possibility of Ebola virus incidents in Cyprus will be implemented across the island, Minister of Health Philippos Patsalis has said.
In statements to CNA and asked to give further details on prevention measures taken on the matter, Patsalis said that Turkish Cypriot members of a Bi-communal Technical Committee on Health had asked on Thursday afternoon, during a meeting, for the action plan prepared by the Medical and Public Health Services of the Republic.
Patsalis had previously offered to share the detailed, 30-page plan with the Turkish Cypriot community when in touch with the Greek Cypriot members of the Committee so that if necessary the same action plan could be implemented across the entire island.
“They asked for our help and we have sent them the action plan”, he told CNA.
Replying to a question regarding reports that there have been Ebola cases in the occupied areas, Patsalis said that so far it has not come to the attention of the Ministry of Health that there are confirmed cases of people having contracted the virus in the occupied areas.
Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkey invaded and occupied its northern third. UN-led talks have been underway aiming to reunify the island under a federal roof. A number of Technical Committees comprising members from both the Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot community have been established to help pave the way for reunification.
Earlier on Thursday, the action plan was presented at a meeting at the Ministry of Health with the participation of all ministries and public bodies which would be involved in its implementation. The action plan is ready to be put to action if the need arises, an official press release had said.
Get all the latest news and videos in your inbox. Register FREE