News
Cyprus & World News

Cyprus receives €200,000 from Kuwait for the Committee on Missing Persons

05 June, 2014

The President of Cyprus Nicos Anastasiades received on Friday a financial contribution from the State of Kuwait, aiming to assist the work of the Committee on Missing Persons with €200,000.

The contribution was handed over during a ceremony at the Presidential Palace, in Nicosia, by the Ambassador of Kuwait Ahmad Salem Ahmad Al-Wehaib.

According to an official announcement, President Anastasiades expressed gratitude and deep appreciation for the contribution to the government and the Emir of Kuwait, Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmed al-Jaber al-Sabah, on behalf of the government and the people of Cyprus.

The financial contribution was announced during an official visit President Anastasiades paid to Kuwait last October. It is “a reflection of the historically excellent relations between our two countries but also of the common suffering of our people” the President said.

He added that both Cyprus and Kuwait have been victims of invasion, with Cyprus remaining still a victim of continued occupation.

Finally, President Anastasiades noted that both Cyprus and Kuwait have missing persons, which explains Kuwait`s sensitivity on the matter, demonstrated through its assistance to Cyprus at a difficult time.

The President of Cyprus said he looked forward to the official visit, the Emir of Kuwait is expected to pay on the island, in order to enhance bilateral relations.

The Ambassador of Kuwait noted in a written announcement that the financial contribution aims at supporting efforts to identify and return the remains of missing persons to their families. By supporting this humanitarian goal and relieving the pain of thousands of Cypriot families, Kuwait believes that the goal of reunification is also supported, the announcement concludes.

In his statements, Government Spokesman Nicos Christodoulides expressed gratitude to the State of Kuwait, noting that the issue of missing persons is the most tragic aspect of Turkey`s 1974 invasion and continued occupation.

Cyprus has been divided since 1974, when Turkish troops invaded and occupied its northern third. Since then, the fate of hundreds of people remains unknown.

A Committee on Missing Persons has been established, upon agreement between the leaders of the two communities, with the scope of exhuming, identifying and returning the remains of missing persons to their relatives.