Foreign Minister Ioannis Kasoulides said that the UK authorities would “inform and consult with” the Cypriot government if they decided to use the British bases on the island to launch strikes against Syria.
Speaking to a contributor of the British channel ITV, Kasoulides said that he held a meeting on Monday with the British ambassador and that they were in agreement “there would be no surprises” so far as Cyprus was concerned. Asked whether the use of the bases for strikes on Syria could endanger Cyprus, the Foreign Minister replied that no one could ever exclude the risks.
“Particularly if some of the stakeholders in this conflict – which is much wider than Syria itself – are in possession of ballistic missiles,” added the minister. He noted, however, that the question was a very hypothetical one and that the possibility of any such risk was remote.
“A decision has not been taken yet about any military action, I am sure that everybody waits for the results of a UN investigation, despite the fact everybody knows that the evidence will not be as convincing as it would have been should the investigation have taken place a few days earlier,” added Kasoulides.
The Cypriot Foreign Minister also pointed out that the second question not yet answered was what sort of military action would be taken and from where. As he said, the biggest possibility is that land bases like the British bases in Cyprus would not be necessary for the main action by air but most probably, they would be used for back-up support.
Get all the latest news and videos in your inbox. Register FREE